After a year of doing morning message, I have become sold on the benefits of this daily routine. Here are some of the things that I love about it.
1. It helps with building routines and getting to know each other in the early days of school. The images above are from the first two days of school last year.
2. It teaches students a predictable structure. Every morning, students enter the room, make a lunch choice, pass in homework, and then read the morning message.
4. It gives those students who need to know what will be happening that day more information than a typical schedule listing just subjects.
5. It prepares students for what I might want them to talk about at morning meeting, so those students who need time to think can have that processing time and are not put on the spot.
9. It allows shy students an opportunity to participate nonverbally at times, such as the example above about electrical devices.
10. It helps kids feel connected to their classroom community. They look forward to reading the message each day. On the rare occasion that I was out and there was a substitute, I always made sure there was still a morning message.
The templates you see around my morning messages are available in my TPT store either individually, or bundled. Click on the pictures to check them out.
Are these templates necessary to do morning message? Of course not! They just make it so easy to have a page that is colorful and attractive. I save each template in the My Content" section of the gallery. Then, whenever I have Smart Notebook open, I can go to the gallery, double-click on the thumbnail of the template I want, and it opens on the page, ready for me to type on it. I just keep adding another page each day to the same file until I have a month's worth of morning messages. Then, I start a new file for the next month.
I also have a couple of FREE mini-samplers that you can check out!